Wednesday, June 9, 2010

In Manaus, Brazil


Hey y'all! I've been here in the city of Manaus for a few days now. So much has happened- I've been on input overload! ha- taking in the culture, language, and rhythm of Manaus has been great. I can speak like an illiterate 3 year old, but I'm not mute- so that's good. I love where I'm staying- Sarah couldn't be sweeter! I've been learning even more about the logistics of running a missions sending agency. Meeting more people every day :) I got to go to a Brasilian church service, and - thanks to Sarah's translating the sermon to me - heard some definite TRUTH preached by a 1/2 Brasilian pastor who attended SouthWestern Baptist Theo. Seminary!! haha, small world! We got to talk about Texas :) But then they stopped speaking English to me for my own good (cultural immersion), so I'd get more acclimated. Ha- culture shock set in a bit when I couldn't communicate. But then a sweet girl my age who wanted to speak English broke the agreement and we talked. But yes, Portuguese is all around me all the time. Learning, learning, learning :) We also went to a waterfall and got to swim (it's not Amazon River water, so it was safe). It was beautiful!! God is preparing such beautiful work for the river next week. Until later...

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I commented on the wrong blog...so read it from Sunday's...it is where Sarah Burt commented first...luv ya

    ReplyDelete